Survex 1.4.7 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 9 02:11:11 BST 2024

On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 10:26:55PM +0000, kevin dixon wrote:
> I did a Ubuntu Software centre installation of Aven today and got
> 1.4.1, not 1.4.7.Is there a link that needs to be set with Ubuntu to
> ensure the latest version ?

The standard Ubuntu repos for a particular Ubuntu version don't get
updated with new upstream versions of packages - the only changes
will be carefully selected fixes for more serious bugs (typically
security issues and data loss).  (I'm not very current on Ubuntu
development policies, but I think may be a very small number of packages
where this isn't the case where upstream maintains a "long term support"
branch which only gets changes for such bugs).

PPAs provide an easy way to offer packages of newer upstream versions
but you need to opt in to using each PPA you want to use.  See "Adding
this PPA to your system" on the PPA's main page for instructions:

https://launchpad.net/~survex-devs/+archive/ubuntu/ppa