Deg invalid in units

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jan 11 22:43:02 GMT 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:18:28PM +0000, Footleg wrote:
> I was building some test files for my CaveConverter program as I improve
> the Survex format parsing support. I added units based on the Survex help
> content:
>
> TAPE/LENGTH, BACKTAPE/BACKLENGTH, COUNTER/COUNT, DEPTH, DX/EASTING,
> DY/NORTHING, DZ/ALTITUDE in YARDS|FEET|METRIC|METRES|METERS (default:
> METRES)
>
> CLINO/GRADIENT, BACKCLINO/BACKGRADIENT in
> DEG|DEGREES|GRADS|MILS|PERCENT|PERCENTAGE (default: DEGREES)
>
> COMPASS/BEARING, BACKCOMPASS/BACKBEARING, DECLINATION in
> DEG|DEGREES|GRADS|MILS|MINUTES (default: DEGREES)
>
> A couple of unexpected things in processing my test file with Survex 1.2.30
>
> It errored on 'deg' as a unit, saying it was unsupported.

"DEG" should be "DEGS" - I've updated the manual.

> It allowed 'minutes' as a unit for clino (which I entered against the help
> in  and paste error).

In fact there's one standard list of units for angular quantities, and
percentages are also supported for clinos as a special case.

I've added MINUTES as supported in the manual (it's been supported this for
ages, so fixing the manual to document it seems better than removing this
support).

Thanks for spotting and reporting these.

I think it would be useful to add your test files to the Survex test suite,
so any regressions get caught sooner.  Are you happy to contribute them?
If so, probably best to let me know when you've completed building them
and I can add them in one go.