Survex 1.2.19 released

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Jun 22 16:35:30 BST 2015

+++ Andy Waddington (Cave Surveying mailbox) [2015-06-22 16:22 +0100]:
> On Monday 2015-06-22 15:14:11 you wrote:
>
> > The ppa is only relevant when a backport is needed
> > [lots of info]
>
> OK, thanks for that Wooks. I guess my issue is just that none of that
> is apparent from the downloads page which sends me somewhere
> apparently not relevant, then.
>
> Something a bit more useful to potential new users (especially those
> who are not used to building from source) would help - even if that is
> simply to the effect that you need to build from source to keep up
> with the bleeding edge, but that most users will be fine with just an
>
> apt-get install survex
>
> from their distro's repositories.

Yes, the download page could provide more help on that front, although
distro users ought to know by now to do 'apt-get install package' first.

> Being able to install from a .deb stops people having to translate
> messages saying that wxwidgets is missing into a less than obvious
> need to install a package called libwxgtk3.0-dev and so on when
> building from source. One gets there in the end, as usual (I'd just
> finished building it here and copying the stuff across to the laptop
> when your mail arrived :-)

Even when building from source you can help this process by doing

apt-get build-dep survex

(which will install the build-dependencies for the package currently
in the distro, not the new source you are about to build, but most of
the time that's not changed so will do what you wanted. Only
new/changed libraries/tools will need to be deciphered and installed
by hand)

http://wookware.org/