Survex 1.2.16 for Mac OS X (was: Re: Survex 1.2.16 released)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jan 22 23:33:07 GMT 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:50:49AM -0500, David A. Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> > This was built on OS X 10.10.1, but with an option which I think means
> > it should be compatible with older releases.  If you try it with an
> > older release, success or failure reports would be useful.
>
> Beautiful! Aven works wonderfully on my OS X 10.9.4 retina MacBook
> Pro

So it does work on at least some older versions, which is promising.

The build used -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 (which is what wxWidgets 3.0.2
defaults to using, and we then pick up and use for everything else), but
Dave Nixon reported it doesn't work on 10.6.8, so clearly that isn't the
whole story.

Dave: Do you have a 32-bit Intel Mac?  According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard :

    "Snow Leopard is the last release of Mac OS X to support the 32-bit
    Intel Core Solo and Intel Core Duo CPUs."

This page tells you how to check:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1531

If that's the issue, I can try to build a 32-bit version, though
according to the Wikipedia page above 10.6 went out of support nearly a
year ago, so sadly you're likely to find such a machine increasingly
problematic for running OS X on.

> though toolbar icons are pixel quadrupled(?) as you note in the
> INSTALL doc.

We really need some higher resolution versions of the toolbar icons
anyway - maybe providing those will fix this.

There are still a few niggles, but they seem tolerable, and most were
present in the previous build too (some are new and due to now using
wxWidgets 3).  Overall it seems a step forwards, especially as the
previous build was from before the 3d format update, and I didn't want
to delay it in the pursuit of perfection.

> I note that `svxedit` fails with the following error:
>
> [driggs at mbp /Applications/Survex]$ ./svxedit
> ./svxedit: line 33: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> ./svxedit: line 33: `set xth(debug) 0'
>
> I can't tell you much more about the version of `wish` other than that
> it's Apple's stock Framework build of Tk 8.5.

I didn't think to check that, but will take a look later.  It works fine
with Tk 8.6 on Linux.