Caverot controls

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 31 03:20:40 BST 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:33:15PM +0000, Andy Waddington wrote:
> I find I have forgotten a lot of the keyboard controls, but I was pretty sure
> that pressing "H" used to bring up a list. Couldn't find a way to do that.

It never has in aven.  There's a list in the manual, and the key
equivalents are shown next to menu items where this is supported by
wx and the underlying GUI system.

> Right click over the window didn't bring up a menu, where I would have hoped
> to find a "help" entry, so rather than RTFM ... I used the little bar of
> controls up top left. Left clicking over "step" did what I wanted, but,
> being from a RISC OS background (and thinking of that as a "select" click),
> without thinking, I clicked right ("adjust") just expecting that this would
> rotate the other way. Ah ... not RISC OS then.
>
> But this is such an obvious and easy idiom, that it seems silly to be confined
> by conventional reduced-functionality methods from Windows (or even Gnome/KDE)
> so why not add this simple enhancement ?

I don't think this is a good idea - it may have been how RISC OS worked,
but it's decidedly non-standard in the environments Aven runs on, and
it's not easily discoverable behaviour, so most users will never know
about it anyway.  I suspect it would be hard to implement too, exactly
because it isn't something that it's normal to want to do.

> Oh, and can we have the "type H for help" back, too ?

It would certainly be useful to have a link to the "keyboard shortcut"
summary from the manual available from the help menu (and to the manual
itself!)  Patches are certainly welcome, or feel free to submit a
wishlist bug.