Caverot controls

Andy Waddington surveys at pennine.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 10:12:00 BST 2008

Sometime before sending, Olly Betts typed (and on Monday 2008-03-31 sent):

> I don't think this is a good idea - it may have been how RISC OS worked,
> but it's decidedly non-standard in the environments Aven runs on, and
> it's not easily discoverable behaviour, so most users will never know
> about it anyway.

It's at least as easily discoverable as anything else you have to read
about in the manual (such as all the keyboard shortcuts).

Just because Windows and various OSS desktops have not widely used the
idiom doesn't make it any less useful or functional. If more applications
adopted such an idiom it would soon prove sufficiently useful that the
main desktops would see a use for it - after all, right button over scroll
bars doesn't do anything else, so there is no conflict to worry about.
You can't easily change the scroll bar behaviour in your application,
but other controls that would benefit from the same idiom are an easy
target. Change requires that someone take a lead !

It's like KDE deciding not to support relocating the window close button
to the left hand top corner because no-one coming from Windows (or indeed,
Gnome) would expect it to be there. That just impairs functionality for a
small group of users to no actual benefit for the majority. The minority
who do expect it to be top left find it an extremely useful bit of
configuration - it's the main reason why I chose KDE over Gnome in the
first place ....

Andy