Files for Aven? *** clueless noob alert ***

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Apr 8 16:07:33 BST 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:47:36PM -0400, David Bush wrote:
> How many times have you read this before?
>
> Where can I get files for Aven? According to the input file dialog,
> that would be either Survex 3D files, Compass PLT files, or CMAP XYZ
> files, whatever they are.

You need to process some survey data (typically .svx format) using
cavern to produce a .3d file:

http://survex.com/docs/manual/cavern.htm

As for how you get .svx files, we usually crawl into a hole in the
ground with a tape measure, compass, and clino.  But if that doesn't
appeal, there's some sample data on the website:

http://survex.com/software/sample.tar.gz

> Is there a repository somewhere for the general public? I saw the
> screenshot of the lechugilla data. That would do nicely.

There have been efforts so set up repositories, but historically cavers
have tended to be very protective of their data (and as a result, the
original data for many caves has sadly been lost).  This seems to be
changing and several clubs now make their data public - there are some
links in the manual (Easegill data isn't public, I believe the other
linked projects are):

http://survex.com/docs/manual/index.htm

I found the Lechuigilla data on the internet a few years ago, but I
don't recall where and I don't seem to have a copy to hand.  It was in
PLT format I believe.

> I'm just a Linux geek who saw the aven package and decided to install it. It
> seems to run well under Kubuntu 7.10, but without any file to open, I can't
> really be sure. Were any files supposed to be included in the package?

No.  While we have permission from the people who surveyed the sample
data to distribute it, I doubt it would count as freely licensed for
Debian/Ubuntu packaging.

> Some mention of this issue on the website might help other noobs.

The sample data is linked from the download pages:

http://survex.com/download.html?platform=debian