Survex and revision control

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 10 00:47:58 BST 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:59:52AM -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
> I was just looking over http://www.survex.com/spud.html and noticed that
> one of the possible enhancements for survex is the addition of limited
> revision control. Currently I use subversion to store all our data
> (survex files, therion files, and scanned survey notes). This works
> pretty good and allows multiple people access to the data. This helps
> distribute the workload of data entry and map making, without having a
> huge hassle oveer who has the current data.

CUCC also use subversion in a similar way (and previously we use CVS).

The problem with either is that it's another tool to learn (and a fairly
techie oriented one at that).  Which is why I'd like to incorporate
something similar into Survex.

Although in fact we could just use subversion - I believe you can access
it through a library which gives you a versioned view of a filing
system.  I'd not really though of that before (I wrote the spud page
before I started using subversion) but it makes a lot of sense in many
ways (you can use other existing tools on your data for example).

> I plan to install Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/) to provide a
> better viewer for the data, and possibly provide issue tracking for
> projects. On a side note, any chance of survex migrating to subversion +
> trac? I use it at work with SW development and people seem to like it.

I'm planning to move the Survex source code to subversion (I use it for
almost everything else I do already).  I just need to find the time to
sit down and do it - it's not just a matter of running cvs2svn as there
are some build scripts which need adjusting for the move.