printing problem with 1.0.35

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Sep 10 02:41:17 BST 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 02:09:02AM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Having printed a nuber of surveys recently I've noticed that if you print
> from aven then it appears to try to use the whole 210x297 A4 area (i.e.
> assumes your printer has no unprintable border).

I assume you're using Linux (since that's where wx's printing framework
helpfully defaults to trying to print on the whole page).

Did you try setting margins in "File->Page Setup"?  That works for me
(currently the margins aren't preserved if you exit and restart aven
but that will be fixed in the next release).

> There doesn't seem to be a way of changing this, as print.ini appears
> to be ignored.

Aven's printing code only reads colours and font sizes from print.ini.

> Printing with printpcl works a lot better, although the "survey foo Page n
> of n..." line invariably appears on a second page, no matter how much I
> reduce the vertical printable area value. This has been the case for a year
> or two now.

Well if you don't report a bug for a year or two...

Does reducing the printable area value actually do anything?  In other
words does it just seem to be ignored or does the box around the survey
actually get shorter?

> I should check this remains unfixed in 1.0.36, but thought I should report
> it, having confirmed the above just now.

Nothing changed in printpcl between 1.0.35 and 1.0.36 anyway.