1.1.6 on Sparc

Andy Waddington surveys at pennine.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 14:46:21 BST 2005

Earlier, I typed (not on list yet - sent from wrong mailbox so will no
doubt have to be moderated):

> In file included from /usr/include/wx/glcanvas.h:26,
> from wx.h:18,
> from aven.h:42,
> from aven.cc:28:
> /usr/include/wx/gtk/glcanvas.h:23:19: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
> and similarly for GL/glx.h and GL/glu.h
> After this, compilation descends into the expected torrent of errors ...

After some Googling and a bit of blind guesswork, I installed xlibsmesa(-dev)
and freeglut3(-dev) and its dependencies, and now all seems to build, with
the one failure at the end:

"Could not find a signing program (pgp or gpg)!
debuild: fatal error at line 788:
running debsign failed"

This looks like a dependency of debian-builder that isn't pulled in
automatically ...

But OK, having done this sequence of not-really-obvious and not
exactly drawn-attention-to-in-the-documentation things, you'll
be pleased to know that it does indeed build, and if I remove
survex and survex-aven, I can install survex 1.1.6 using dpkg.

For what it's worth, that's now at

http://pennine.demon.co.uk/survex/survex_1.1.6.deb

I'll try to figure out what to install to make it a signed version :-)

Is there any way I can have both 1.0.34 (or, indeed 1.0.37)
and 1.1.6 installed on the same machine ?

Aven 1.1.6 does seem to be whole lot less jerky than 1.0.34,
though still not entirely smooth. I suppose that this may be
entirely a function of what other things the machine is doing
in background at the same time. It is certainly the case that
when I run aven from an ssh console on my main workstation
into the Sparc machine, that's incredibly jerky until I pause
rotation on the aven running on its own X desktop, so that
does suggest that the jerkiness is a function of the stress the
machine is under. Its only a creaking old Ultra 10 bought to
be a firewall, after all. I'll have to get some proper Sparc
hardware as my next toy ...

Andy