Processing Compass data files

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:09:29 +0000

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:14:55PM -0000, Graham Mullan wrote:
> The "process with" option doesn't work, you just get a list of error
> messages.

Eh?  There is no "process with [survex]" option for DAT or MAK files
yet.  So I'm puzzled how you've managed to get errors from it.

> Making a one line svx file using include does work, in the sense that it
> runs! Sometimes it gives results that look like the cave and sometimes it
> doesn't. I suspect that the failures are to do with station naming problems,
> but don't have time at the moment to analyse the plots carefully and check,
> but it seems that loops are forming between separate Compass surveys where
> no loops should be. Given that a Compass file containing several surveys
> should be like a single level Survex file I don't understand this one at
> all.

Can you send me an example which doesn't work?

> Mak files give a related problem in that it seems to be trying to act like a
> single level Survex hierarchy and is therefore trying to link things that
> don't link. First time I've ever seen a misclosure error of several thousand
> percent!

Please read the release notes in the announcement mail I sent.  Survex
doesn't support the use of "links" in the MAK file to hide duplicate
survey station names.  The workaround is to rewrite the MAK file as a
Survex file.  This is a simple task - e.g. the Lechuguilla MAK file has
only 7 lines, ignoring blank lines and comments.