RE GUI

Michael Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:13:04 +1100

Graham Mullan wrote:
> As far as data input is concerned, one of the great joys of  Survex is it's
> between 1953 and 1985). While it is true that entering data into something
> other than a text file might be quicker, Survex is far and away superior
> when it comes to closely following the original paper format(s).

Actually I have found that entering daa into a text file is usually
faster than any GUI system. GUI's can be fast if they have keyboard
shortcuts but as soon as you have to reach for the mouse - down goes
your entry speed. I tend to use gvim for enetring survex stuff.

Following the original paper format is also good and the use of
*equates, *begin, *end etc and being able to arrange heirarchical data
is superb. I am not sure if Olly would appreciate this but I liken
Survex to LaTeX  or Word Perfect with it's "reveal codes" compared to
survey packages that have all their data locked up in a  a jail behind
some GUI interface that may or may not be any good a la M$ Word.

Mike

CRICOS Number:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.