Spud stuff: other survey software; and a few other bits.

Mark Shinwell Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:02:26 +0100

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 11:38:23PM +0100, Philip Underwood wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Oct 2000, Mark SHinwell wrote:
> > Hi
> <HUGE SNIP>
> > - Has integration with GIS stuff like ArcView, and can read standard
> >   DEM (Digital Elevation Map) files for terrain data.  We ought to do
> >   the latter (I will investigate).
> Yup -DEMs are definitely feasible. I've got some code knocking around
> somewhere that does the job quite nicely. I've written some progs that will
> convert dems into svx files (*huge* svx files), and also into 3dx files.

Good heavens no: there ought to be a plug-in to read them directly.
Terrain maps as .svx files are just nasty :-)

> > - Context-sensitive help.  We need to think about how we will provide
> >   help.
> I like HTML - the user can specify their own browser, its easy to write, and
> reasonably flexible. Under Win32 its very easy to set the help up to use the
> default HTML browser automatically. Or possibly SGML, which is more general,
> but is more tricky to include graphics.

Yeah, but one says just "HTML" but how do we display it?  Netscape?
Konqueror?  Internet Explorer?  Mozilla?  Nasty problem... I think a
Mozilla plug-in to GTK might be the best option...

But probably HTML is the best option (although I do not confess to knowing
much about such languages, I suspect Olly might help here).

Cheers
Mark

--
Mark Shinwell -- http://mrs30.quns.cam.ac.uk -- Mark.Shinwell@cl.cam.ac.uk
Theory and Semantics Group, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory