Spud stuff: other survey software; and a few other bits.

Philip Underwood furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:38:23 +0100

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000, Mark SHinwell wrote:
> Hi
<HUGE SNIP>
> - Has integration with GIS stuff like ArcView, and can read standard
>   DEM (Digital Elevation Map) files for terrain data.  We ought to do
>   the latter (I will investigate).
Yup -DEMs are definitely feasible. I've got some code knocking around
somewhere that does the job quite nicely. I've written some progs that will
convert dems into svx files (*huge* svx files), and also into 3dx files. I'll
dig them out if you want. It's based on someone elses code; its called g3DGMV
by Nick Yost (yostn@gte.net, available at (I think) freshmeat) I think this
would be an excellent example where a module would be useful.

> - Context-sensitive help.  We need to think about how we will provide
>   help.
I like HTML - the user can specify their own browser, its easy to write, and
reasonably flexible. Under Win32 its very easy to set the help up to use the
default HTML browser automatically. Or possibly SGML, which is more general,
but is more tricky to include graphics.

<ANOTHER HUGE SNIP>
--
Phil Underwood <furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net>
Fighting disease, illness, and little flaky bits throughout the North West.