spud beasts

Julian Todd julian@goatchurch.demon.co.uk
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:32:07 +0100

I've been following the discussion with a hint of despair.
First it was all going to be so general that you wouldn't know
what the content was.  And now you are talking about
defining specific structures for the tiny amounts of data.

The fact is it doesn't matter what form the data is stored in
at all.  Whenever I have gotten hold of a cave data file
in another format (Walls and Toporobot so far) I have been
able to upgrade Tunnel to read it in half a days work.
I'll be able to do the same with whatever you lot come up
with, if anyone actually designs a cave in it.

Why don't you consider sticking with the survex format
and making the improvements to it I have outlined
many times before (*exports, labels on the *calibrates,
abolition of *include, *begin/*end, *equate and *units) ?
All you are going to do is produce another data format
with horrible flaws in it, in the same way survex had originally
(with its \ operator, implicit equates and *prefix) which will
take years to discover and probably won't get repaired
in a hurry either.  I have proven that the survex format
is extensible to 3D cross sections and cave drawing.
So what, exactly, do you need another file type for?  Hmm?
[Hint: you have to name a particular feature you can't
have already now to make a justification]

The correct data format, in my opinion, is one that is
as close a representation of the survey notes as possible.
It's there that all the data comes in, and it's there where
all the errors will be found.  The survex format already
closely matches the written data.  Were we to get
laser scanned data of cross sections, that data should
remain in exactly its format.  If you can write a conversion
unit from it into another format, you can write a reader for
that format and do without your own invented format.

Julian T.

PS What's wrong with Java apart from it's easy to write
and you don't need to be a professional GTK programmer
to do it?