spud beasts

Mark Shinwell mrs30@cam.ac.uk
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:26:27 +0100

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 10:32:07AM +0100, Julian Todd wrote:

> PS What's wrong with Java apart from it's easy to write
> and you don't need to be a professional GTK programmer
> to do it?

Let's not start a major rant again, but here are a few choice
morsels:

(a) The speed of it.
(b) Lack of 3D support on non-Windows platforms at the moment.
(c) Infuriating language features such as the inability to
have reference parameters and a total lack of polymorphism
(not that C++ makes a great attempt at this).
(d) It's a pain in the arse, frankly, to install it on
certain platforms (ask Wookey).

There's no theoretical reason why parts can't be written in other
languages: it might well be possible to produce a wrapper for
Java but I'm not totally sure.  I am toying with writing some
plugins in Objective Caml, which is a very nice language that
compiles to good native code.  Writing a wrapper for this would be
easy so I suspect something could be sorted for Java.

Mark

--
Mark Shinwell -- President, Cambridge University Caving Club
Queens' College, Cambridge, UK