0.93 on Digital Unix and Linux

Phil Benchoff benchoff@vt.edu
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:22:40 -0500

Developers,
  Let me thank each one of you for putting survex together.  I use Digital
Unix at work and Linux at home, so I was very happy to find an open-source
program to map some survey data.

Here are some comments on quick tests on Digital Unix 4.0F and RH Linux 6.1
with 0.93.

DU:

  Don't have gtk-- and didn't try aven.
  Compiled ok, but several messages about incompatible pointer types.
  xcaverot - All of the buttons and the two controls on the right are
    empty (no text or symbols).  They appear to function properly.  Perhaps
    they are displaying in black on black.  xcaverot core dumps with a
    segv sometimes.  I haven't looked at the core file to see where yet.
    A common problem is with the 64-bit longs on this platform.

Linux:
   Had to install gtk-- and gtk--devel.  aven still didn't compile and
   it was too late for me to figure out why.  If I remember correctly,
   it was complaining about missing header files.  Are there additional
   packages required?
   cavern and xcaverot seem to work fine.

I'll report my findings if I get a chance to look into these.

Phil