cavern output

Michael Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:06:19 +1000

Phil Underwood wrote:
> Would anyone feel a benefit from an option telling cavern to only output a
> 3d (3dx for chasm users)  file? I'm starting to get irritated by cavern
> dropping various .pos, .inf, .err throughout my directory - it makes it
> harder to find the more useful files.

I think that if you wanted to mod cavern to remove these outputs that
then adding an option to suppress them (eg cavern -o nopos noerr noinf
or cavern -!o pos err) would be preferable to changing cavern so that
its default is no position list etc. The problem with your idea of
changing the default now is that the doocs would have to be rewritten
and users upgrading may not reread the new docs and would  possibly be
confused etc.
If you just make an option to supresss the output of stuff you don't
want then current users would not notice any change.

> benefit. I may well do it anyway for myself, because I'm working on
> creating temporary 3d (well 3dx, actually) files, and the extra files get
> in the way.

A script to get rid of them is trivial.

> Also, maybe a quiet option would be useful - say limiting the screen output
> to errors, or errors and progress (without the summary at the end).
> This would be of most interest to me, as I'm trying to get chasm to
> understand cavern's output, so I'd like to minimize the irrelevant stuff.
>
> Obviously,. all of this should be done through command-line options so that
> people can still get full info out if they want it.

Yes definately.

Mike

Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.