cavern output

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:37:56 +0100 (BST)

On Mon 17 Apr, Phil Underwood wrote:
> Would anyone feel a benefit from an option telling cavern to only output a
> 3d (3dx for chasm users)  file? I'm starting to get irritated by cavern
> dropping various .pos, .inf, .err throughout my directory - it makes it
> harder to find the more useful files. I'm sure that it would be relatively
> trivial to suppress this output.

There is a good argument for these files to disappear by default once we
have expanded the .3d format so that all this info goes in there instead.
It might be more widely useful to work on this as opposed to just
nobbling these files?

> I am happy to code this if anyone would
> benefit. I may well do it anyway for myself, because I'm working on
> creating temporary 3d (well 3dx, actually) files, and the extra files get
> in the way.
> Also, maybe a quiet option would be useful - say limiting the screen output
> to errors, or errors and progress (without the summary at the end).

I quite like the general summary, but would agree that the node-summary
is just a good way of making sure the warnings you wanted to see have
scrolled off the screen....I reckon we could safely relegate these to
somewhere you have to look up if you want to know.

> Obviously,. all of this should be done through command-line options so that
> people can still get full info out if they want it.

I certainly have no objections to this.

Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679