Objet: RE: Cave-Surveying Digest, Vol 12, Issue 1

stuart mishkazz at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 30 12:10:38 BST 2008

Hi, Interesting stuff....
But it seems the issue is around the type of laser used, the method, the
objective and the survey grade....
basically laser are all the same, the brand name may change unless you guys
somehow end up with real under powered unit...

There is no question that a laser is far more accurate... +-2mm per 100m and
about +- 5mm up to 200m.
In a cave environment they are not really effected by atmosphere
conditions...
However on the surface this effect and error can be +-25mm over 200m
best to use at night or dark places...

The issue of time to take a laser shot is less than a second....in fact they
do about 100 samples to calculate a distance in that time....
It more the issue how still you can hold a dot, the size of the dot, the
unit sampling time which will effect the sampling result...
hand held is only good for distances less than 50m. the shorter the
distance, the less movement, the smaller the dot, the more accurate.
tri-pod or a stable surface 50 to 100m...
100m plus requires a Tri-pod and a target plate... (regardless how good the
laser is)

Water, water on cave walls,  marble, dolomite caves, smooth angular surfaces
create an issue for the reflecting laser dot, ineffective returns....
The reverse, a surface can be too light absorbing or too rough fracturing
the dot for a good return...
So it take practice to shoot straight for a straight return, and to know
what a good target is.

Bottom line, an off the self laser rated for 200m is only effective for
around 70metres in a cave... (less than a 200m rating is almost a waste of
time)
the shorter the distance naturally increases the number of hits...or
measurements., less trouble some...
Compass is a compass, the error is what it is...the Laser however adds an
advantage given you can take a plethora of measurements per 1 compass...
so while you may stay in short compass legs, you can over shoot each station
to the next...Hence a stack of  triangulation measurements
ceiling heights, cross sections, details etc....
The trick is always shoot at either level or 90 degrees down...even if you
carry a stick around or use 2 lasers is best...
Your caving lights will impact on the laser dot, giving it a very poor
return, avoid direct lighting of the station or dot...
A very good way to over come a poor surface...is lights out or go near dark,
it will return off all most any thing and increase your distance...
if the dot is being bounced, you will see it...

The thing is, with a Laser it can massively increase your collected data to
a point of overkill for any survey...and 3D gets very wild...

I have been on the list for about 3 years and i find your topics when your
in a chatty mood, which is rare, interesting...
i am not at your level of surveying or being so pedantic..
I am Australian cave diver...So underwater we don't have the luxury of time
or can we achieve such a high survey standard as you guys...
hence it is carried over to our dry cave standards which is poor...
A cave like Cocklebiddy which is 50m across wall to wall, 10 to 25m floor to
ceiling, 100, 300m leg lengths.. 6km long, 90% water filled...
Needs, we use every trick in the book, Radio location, Pingers,GPS, Lasers,
dive computers, Tapes...per tested and tension survey lines to a Kg rating
etc
and always our weakness is compass...There are no compasses we can use for
accuracy, so have to make our own which about the size of a CD.
and rely heavily on triangulation and other tools...
On the subject of Lasers is something  i use allot...even to designing an
underwater laser which is very tricky to do...
Wouldn't leave home without 1 or 2 for a dry section cave survey. , but they
are just a tool like a tape is...don't leave home without them either...

The argument is not quite right...you cant match a lasers for accuracy over
distance...at 100m you going to be +-2mm...
it is a light wave it doesn't change... it has a percentage calibration
error which is known.... .+-.025 per metre...
Even a perfectly calibrated 100m Tape Measure can not be pulled straight,
and if by chance the ground surface was perfectly flat..
heat /cold would shrink or expend the tape more than 2mm...you would need a
perfect temperature to go with the rest...

You can argue the method of how a laser is used...the shorter the distance
the more likely human error will effect the true distance..
if using a laser i feel you should always take the longest shot you can as
part of the overall survey...
laser are used for everything from mapping the moon to mapping earth to less
than a 1 metre contour.

Cheers  Stuart