Survey with laser instruments

Graham Mullan graham.mullan at wotcc.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:45:08 BST 2008

Thank you to all who have answered. that was a very interesting read. A
few points:

I did indeed mean instruments such as Wookey says, SAP and relatively
cheap laser disto. It is interesting to see a description of the
relative accuracy of all these instruments.

Andy, I have no idea what sort of instrument you used for your surface
survey in Austria but I don't quite understand what you mean by the
"angular accuracy being very small". Can you re-phrase?

Pat, there is a statistical problem about errors. Certainly the fewer
readings you take, the fewer "blunders" that should be made, but, then
again, they may be harder to detect. however, assuming that "errors" as
opposed to "blunders" are truly random then the greater number of shots
the greater the likelihood that the errors will cancel out. if the error
is, however, systematic, that is they tend in one direction rather than
another, then the accumulated error will be lower if there are fewer legs.

I agree that it is important that time is taken to use any instrument
properly, to understand how to maximise accuracy.

I wholeheartedly agree that laser distos make the sketcher's job far
easier and much more accurate. A great improvement.

Graham