Objet: RE: Cave-Surveying Digest, Vol 12, Issue 1

Luc Le Blanc lleblanc at cam.org
Tue Jul 15 18:20:27 BST 2008

Paul De Bie wrote:

> I agree that the nominal accuracy of laser tape is better, however at several occasions we have seen
> that, when taking long shots (over 20 m) there is a higher risk of errors than when using a tape.
> The longer the distance, the bigger the possibility to "miss the target".
> And many laser tapes need some time (sometimes over 1 second) to actually measure the distance. Even
> when you are on target when pressing the button, you might easily "tremble off" the target while the
> laser is measuring.  The use of a tripod is much recommended in such cases!

That's why I like the timer option on my Disto A6. Press the button to
start a 5-second countdown after which the measurement is actually
taken. It leaves you plenty of time to lock in on the target - too
much time in fact, but that delay is not adjustable. I always use this
option on long shots. Alas, this option is not available on lower end
Distos.

Luc Le Blanc

Take your PDA where the Sun never shines...
Go map a cave!
http://www.speleo.qc.ca/Auriga