Cave-Surveying Digest, Vol 12, Issue 1

Paul De Bie paul.de.bie at skynet.be
Tue Jul 15 18:01:11 BST 2008

Hi,

I think it is important to keep legs way under 30 m, unless the cave passage does not change over
that leg (e.g. a perfectly cylindrical shaft or tube of 100 m could be measured in 1 shot).
Measuring the cave is one thing, but sketching it, taking note of passage dimensions etc. is another
thing, and I consider this equally important.
Each time the passage dimensions change, each time the cave scenery changes, one should IMO make a
survey station and measure that leg. It is not only important for the drawing of the sketch, but
also for a correct visual representation (with cave passages, 3D etc) of the cave on a computer...

I agree that the nominal accuracy of laser tape is better, however at several occasions we have seen
that, when taking long shots (over 20 m) there is a higher risk of errors than when using a tape.
The longer the distance, the bigger the possibility to "miss the target".
And many laser tapes need some time (sometimes over 1 second) to actually measure the distance. Even
when you are on target when pressing the button, you might easily "tremble off" the target while the
laser is measuring.  The use of a tripod is much recommended in such cases!

Once we tried measuring a 260 m pit with a Disto laser (of course in legs of say max. 50 m). It was
totally impossible to take a steady 50 m shot while hanging on a rope. We hade to revert back to the
good old 50 m tape.

Paul De Bie
http://www.scavalon.be
http://scavalon.blogspot.com