Survex 1.4.7 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Apr 8 01:43:00 BST 2024

Survex 1.4.7 is now available:

https://survex.com/download.html

Here's the full NEWS file entry for this release:

Changes in 1.4.7 (2024-04-07):

* cavern:

  + When using *declination auto we report the range of calculated declinations
    for each location specified.  After doing this we now reset the range
    information we're tracking.  Previously we'd misreport the range for
    the second and subsequent locations.

  + Avoid undefined behaviour on handling filename fallback for filenames
    containing non-ASCII characters.

  + Show context line with relevant item highlighted for more errors and
    warnings.

  + The dynamic string handling routines are now more efficient.

  + Fix memory leak if a Compass MAK file opens folders it doesn't close.

  + Fix handling of clino-less legs in Compass DAT.  These would cause cavern
    to fail with a lot of "NaN" messages.  Now they're treated as having a zero
    clino with a standard deviation based on the leg length, just like in .svx
    files.

* img library:

  + Compass PLT: Treat LRUD readings > 900 as omitted readings, which matches
    what Compass does.  Thanks to Larry Fish for clarifying this.

  + Avoid undefined behaviour after realloc().  We were adjusting a pointer
    within the reallocated block by subtracting the old block address and
    adding on the new one.  Technically this is undefined behaviour, although
    in practice it seems likely it'll work and we've not seen misbehaviour due
    to it.  However it's easy to avoid by calculating the offset before the
    realloc().

* Portability:

  + Provide prototype for getopt() to avoid warnings with very recent compiler
    versions.

  + Avoid using sprintf(), which now triggers warnings on some platforms.

* Build system:

  + Add configure --enable-werror option to turn compiler warnings into errors.

* Manual:

  + Expand details of Compass MAK CRS support.

  + Replace very out of date information about binary RPM packages.

* Minor translation updates.

* (Microsoft Windows version): Now uses PROJ 9.3.0 and ships all of the
  ancillary files that PROJ comes with.  Hoping this fixes use of coordinate
  system EPSG:3912 failing, which was reported by Peter Mašič but I've not
  managed to reproduce.

Here are SHA256 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

b1c9f63adbe95e7fbfef010db6c1f2d177688fec90afcef62e00000d99f5a65d  survex-1.4.7.tar.gz
1e85bc1fffb72fcf89eb5fedf4824b20a40756cd7059753990facfe5745d144b  survex-win32-1.4.7.exe

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
https://survex.com/software/1.4.7/

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

https://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.4.7

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker: https://trac.survex.com/