Aven Presentation

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Feb 24 23:15:26 GMT 2022

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 06:57:03PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2021-10-10 09:10 -0400, Richard Knapp wrote:
> > Seems you “Mark” a set of views (focus points) and Aven will
> > translate from Mark to Mark. I don’t see any way to control spots
> > you might pause the Presentation aside from manually or adjust the
> > speed it goes from mark to mark

To adjust the speed:

* Select the "Presentation" tab in the left pane
* Right-click on the mark at the end of the transition to change
* Set "Time" to the number of seconds you want the transition to take,
  or "*" plus a factor to set based on the automatic speed (e.g. "*2.5"
  or "*.333").

> The lack of a 'pause here for N' feature is the main practical issue
> with using it for real presentations. It can be done afterwards in a
> video editor, of course, but adding it to the UI probably wouldn't be
> hard.

It's already possible to "pause for N":

* "Mark" twice for the view you want to pause on
* Select the "Presentation" tab in the left pane
* Right-click on the second mark at the pause location to edit it
* Set "Time" to the number of seconds you want to pause there for

> In practice when using aven in real presentations I normally find it
> more useful to have static screenshots in the slides

Indeed people didn't seem to really take to the feature and I've not
needed to give a caving talk myself for ages so it's not seen any
real updates for a long time (only keeping it working despite many
FFmpeg API changes).