Error "The input projection is set but the output projection isn't"

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Feb 13 22:51:13 GMT 2022

On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 10:47:57AM -0600, Bill Gee wrote:
> Where does this error come from?  I see nothing about it in the Survex
> manual.

See the documentation for "*cs":

    If you're going to make use of "*cs", then the coordinate system
    must be specified for everything, so a coordinate system must be in
    effect for all "*fix" commands, and you must set the output
    coordinate system before any points are fixed.

On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 06:03:29PM -0600, Bill Gee wrote:
> Geronimo.svx:4:9: error: Coordinate system unsuitable for output
>  *cs out long-lat
>          ^~~~~~~~
>
> What???  If it is good for input, then why is it not good for output?
> Another undocumented feature!

The output coordinate system needs to have coordinates measured in
metres.  The input coordinate system is only used as an input format
for fixed point coordinates, and those are converted to the output
coordinate system before use, so there's no such restriction there.

It does seem that (unlike your first complaint) this is not currently
explicitly documented.  I'll try to address that.