Fedora 35 vs. Survex package

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Thu Nov 4 11:57:02 GMT 2021

On 2021-11-04 06:36 -0500, Bill Gee wrote:
> For JM Begley ...  I tried to upgrade one of my test machines to Fedora 35 this morning.  It balked with the Survex package.  The message is:
>
> Error:
> Problem: package survex-1.2.44-1.fc34.x86_64 requires libproj.so.19()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
>  - proj-7.2.1-2.fc34.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
>  - problem with installed package survex-1.2.44-1.fc34.x86_64
>
> I know it is early in the Fedora 35 cycle - just two days after release!  Have you had a chance to look at this yet?

Not that many Fedora survex users SFAIK, so probably not yet.
I just had a look and it seems that F35 is on proj 8.2.
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/proj/commits/f35
Althogh my 'all ditrso overview' shows 8.0 in fc35: http://sandpiper.linaro.org/upstreamproject/details/proj
(libproj19 comes from proj v7, libproj22 comes from proj v8)

So I'm not sure if that means they removed proj7 (I'm failing to find
fedora's 'our package list' pages).

Survex works with proj8 now (and is in debian), so if you just rebuild
it in fedora it should pick up the new proj and work. It looks like the
one in the archive is built against proj 7 but proj7 is no longer
available? I'm not sure how the fedora machinery works here.

http://wookware.org/