Two "Main" files with one survey "link" file

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat May 2 20:37:50 BST 2020

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 05:47:02PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2020-05-02 09:17 -0400, Richard Knapp wrote:
> > (I am not sure I need to do this but curious if it could be done)
> >
> > I was wondering if I could do this:
> > - one file with all the surveys linked together (with all the *equate statements)
> > - two files that reference (*include) the surveys with different fixed entrance points
> > 	— one with entrance set at 0,0,0 (for map drawing)
> > 	— one with entrance set at geo-referenced coordinates (for use on Google Earth)
>
> Yes, this is straightforward and can be done with single or multiple
> entrances.

With multiple entrances it's hard unless they're all connected by
surveys.

I think it would be better to just avoid the need for a
(0,0,0)-referenced version.  It's a bit fiddly to set up, a bit fiddly
to work with, and limits what you can do in terms of not-yet-connected
entrances and multiple fixed points.

What format are you exporting to?

Some export formats inherently require geo-referenced coordinates (GPX
and KML) so it can't be one of those.

Some support "Full coordinates" which give you a choice of
geo-referenced or (0,0,0)-referenced output (DXF does).  If there are
other formats where that would be useful it probably wouldn't be hard to
implement it for them (at least where it makes sense - it doesn't for
inherently geo-referenced formats like GPX and KML).