Figuring out GeoRefencing

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri May 1 01:43:48 BST 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 06:40:25PM -0400, Richard Knapp wrote:
> https://www.google.com/maps/place/Worleys+Cave/@36.4562451,-82.2302564,16.84z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x885a83644eecdf0b:0x2b9a0a140d7a96b3!8m2!3d36.4564613!4d-82.2307107
>
> How do I add a reference for this at the top of my file?

Your URL seems to contain two slightly difference coordinates - I think
the first is the view and the second the actual cave entrance, in which
case:

*cs out utm17
*cs long-lat
*fix worleys -82.2307107 36.4564613 0.0

(Except replace 0.0 with the actual altitude.)

The output coordinate system needs to be a grid in metres - I've used
the UTM zone which covers that region based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system#/media/File:Utm-zones-USA.svg
but there may be something else in use in that area which would be a
better choice.