Differentiating splay measures in Aven

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Fri Feb 7 13:52:31 GMT 2020

On 2020-02-07 08:43 -0500, Luc Le Blanc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does the SVX format allow differentiating splay measures that reach
> cave walls from those aimed at random details (block, stalactite,
> etc,)?

Yes. there are three labels:

Documented here: https://survex.com/docs/manual/datafile.htm
'Anonymous stations'

Single separator ('.' by default)
    An anonymous non-wall point at the end of an implicit splay.

Double separator ('..' by default)
    An anoymous wall point at the end of an implicit splay.

Triple separator ('...' by default)
    an anoymous point with no implicit flags on the leg (intended for cases like a disto leg along a continuing passage).

> In my code exporting from Auriga to Survex, I see a line where splay
> measures to cave walls use a hyphen separator while those to details
> use a dot for the virtual station name suffix, but this line being
> commented, I must guess someone suggested this trick but it wouldn't
> be implemented in Survex.

The hyphen is used by pocket topo, so is quite common in datasets taken that way.

Survex provides an alias command so you don't have to change them all:

You can map '-' to '..' (for compatibility with data from pocket topo) using the command:
*alias station - ..

But obviously if you want to distinguish between walls, other stuff
and continuations, then you should change them.

http://wookware.org/