Export formats

Michael Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Wed Jun 22 05:43:20 BST 2016

Hi

I use QGIS a lot and the only way I could get Survex data into qgis was via dxf.

Run cavern on svx file. Run aven on 3d file and export "Underground Survey Legs:
and "Station Names" as dxf.

Then in QGIS from Vector / Dxf2Shp converter
I import the dxf and output one point shapefile for labels, one polyline
shapefile for legs. Then add those as vector layers.

shapefile support is excellent as it's been around a long time, is stable, wont
be going away and as has been mentioned proprietary but open.

A few options here: have a shp output with options in survex or have a plugin
for qgis that just handles survex files. I think the latter would be better as
with a plugin in qgis your not lumbering survex with more export formats that
most users wont use. If someone can write a qgis plugin (they are in Python) one
could select a 3d file from Aven and then via checkboxes select what attributes
to import (legs, stations etc) as the plugins have a GUI interface.

Mike