Export formats

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Sun Jun 5 09:04:18 BST 2016

On 2016-06-05 01:04 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> Currently aven supports exporting to the following formats:
>
> * DXF - CAD format (also via cad3d)
> * EPS - Encapsulated PostScript - a vector image format
> * GPX - for importing to GPS units
> * HPGL - for plotters
> * JSON - experimental export for web-based viewers
> * KML - for use with GIS systems, online map sites, etc
> * PLT - intended for use with Carto (also via cad3d)
> * POS - produce a Survex .pos file (also via 3dtopos)
> * SK - Skencil format (also via cad3d)
> * SVG - vector image format e.g. used by inkscape (also via cad3d)
>
> I suspect some of these are no longer used.  For example, Skencil is an
> open source drawing package which last saw any development in 2010 from
> what I can see: http://skencil.org/, though perhaps other tools use the
> format.  Carto seems inactive too (last release 2005).

Not sure anyone has much use for HPGL files anymore either. Printing
on plotters is petty-much dead.

> Also, are there any formats missing from the list people would find
> useful?

The obvious one is DWG (more proprietary successor to DXF). Which is
somewhat supported by the libreDWG library. Although in most cases
where DWG is useful, DXF will still work, so it's not worth putting in
effort unless people come up with concrete example where it is needed.

There have been several times I'd have found an output to an actual 3D
format, as opposed to line-based formats, would be really handy. There
are lots of fancy tools for 3D work. This requires transforming our
lines into thin cyclinders and maybe the points into small spheres.

Then we can use things like webGL which opens up a lot of
possibilities like displaying directly in the browser.

http://wookware.org/