Survex 1.2.25 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jan 8 00:25:57 GMT 2016

On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 11:04:08AM +0000, Andy Waddington (Cave Surveying mailbox) wrote:
> Sometime before sending, Olly Betts typed (and on Tuesday 2016-01-05 at 17:33:38 sent):
>
> > OS versions older than Vista are past end of life
>
> That doesn't mean that people who for  some arcane and bizarre
> reason need to use Windows occasionally but who wouldn't dream
> of paying MS for a recent copy won't be using older versions for
> those odd tasks. I run both Windows 2000 and XP (and nothing more
> recent) in VMs for those legacy moments when only Windows will
> do (admittedly, not the case for running survex ;-).

In which case, your impressive dedication to obsolete software isn't
really relevant in this context, is it now?

> End-of-life as a concept is only really useful for systems which
> get better (and remain free) for newer versions. I still use RISC OS 3...

If Microsoft have stopped caring about an OS version, you're going to
struggle to convince me I ought to.  There are other more widely useful
aspects of Survex I'd much rather spend my time on.

But in fact this change doesn't break compatibility with the older OS
versions, it just means you would need to be an admin to install (as
you have to be for newer OS versions).  Compatibility may already be
broken for other reasons though.