Survex 1.2.25 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jan 5 04:33:38 GMT 2016

Survex 1.2.25 is now available:

http://survex.com/download.html

This release notably fixes the processing of data through aven on
Microsoft Windows for filenames containing spaces.

See the NEWS file entry below for a full list.

There's no Mac OS X build yet - I'll try to sort one shortly.

Here are SHA1 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

f1261744bb56d848d59f5447f15cd38fef457ebf  survex-1.2.25.tar.gz
64cf22104616a990b8ecf90bb38cfc085cf87dae  survex-win32-1.2.25.exe

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
http://survex.com/software/1.2.25/

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

http://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.2.25

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker (http://trac.survex.com/).

Changes in 1.2.25 (2016-01-05):

* aven:

  + Drop broken code which attempts to fix 2D pitches.  Fixes #73, reported by
    Erin Lynch.  #76 tracks the issue the removed code was trying (but failing)
    to address.

  + When animating, don't try to update station info based on mouse movement
    over the survey tree.

  + Further improve code to handle cavern subprocess in aven.

  + Fix jump to error for filenames containing colons when the error location
    doesn't have a column number.  Bug noted by Jenny Black.

  + If we encounter bad UTF-8 in cavern output, replace it with a red and white
    ? in a diamond (previously we gave up showing output at the first bad
    sequence).  This can happen if you process a .svx file which isn't UTF-8
    encoded.

  + (Unix version): Don't try to set the terminal window title when opening an
    editor from the cavern log window - gnome-terminal no longer supports this,
    and there doesn't seem to be a portable option for specifying the title for
    terminals which do still support this.

  + (Microsoft Windows version): Also quote for cmd.exe so that paths with
    spaces in work reliably.  Reported by Marco Cotto.

* cavern:

  + Improve error for mismatched fore/back-sight plumbs, reported by Andy
    Edwards (see #78).

  + Fix to use correct sd for backcompass.  We were using zero instead, the
    most obvious effect of which was that the threshold for warning about
    differing COMPASS and BACKCOMPASS was about 71% of what it should have
    been, so we were warning in more cases than we should have been.

  + Implement support for specifying a length on backsights - if you're using
    something like a disto-x, you'll get a distance reading for the backsight
    too.  Fixes #71, reported by Erin Lynch.

  + Make line counting more robust to mixed line ends.  Noticed in example file
    from Pete Smart (see #69).

* extend: New --show-breaks option which adds a leg flagged as surface survey
  between each points at which a loop has been broken.  Suggested by Jenny
  Black.

* (Unix version): Update filetype metadata to work with modern desktops.

* Fix incorrect reporting of errors reading and writing processed survey data.
  Since 1.2.8, the error strings corresponding to IMG_CANTOPENOUT,
  IMG_BADFORMAT and IMG_DIRECTORY have been mixed up (this doesn't affect
  external programs using the img library, only Survex).  Reported by Jenny
  Black.

* Add missing options to extend man page and --help output.  Noted by Jenny
  Black.

* Document Document Ctrl+cursor keys for rotating and tilting in aven man page.

* Fix broken SGML markup in manual.

* Fix typo in manual reported by Jenny Black.

* Update vim syntax file for newer commands, etc.

* Minor translation updates.  Thanks to Piotr Strębski and Jean-Marc.

* Fix to compile with FFmpeg 2.9.  Reported by Andreas Cadhalpun in
  https://bugs.debian.org/803863

* Stop maintaining ChangeLog files.  They make merging patches harder, and stop
  'git cherry-pick' from working as it should.  The git repo history should be
  sufficient for complying with GPLv2 2(a).

* (Microsoft Windows version): The installer requires admin privileges on Vista
  and later and OS versions older than Vista are past end of life, so drop code
  which tries to set up the registry differently depending if we have admin
  privileges or not.