Mangled 3d file

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Tue Mar 3 21:08:24 GMT 2015

Hi Graham -

The back-compass shots I left out of the data were done because they messed up
Therion.  When Therion tries to average shots that are nearly north-south, it
often comes up with due west!  The result is a seriously mangled map.

Take readings of forward=359, backward=181.  What is the average?  It should
be 0, but Therion comes up with something more like 270   (359 + 181) / 2.
The only way I could get Therion to produce a correct map was to take out one
of the two compass readings.

The first shot where things go wrong is from A10 to A11.  All three shots (A9,
A10, A11) have both forward and backward compass data.  None of them are close
to 0/360, so they should average correctly.  The splay shot from A4 to L1 is
on the wrong side of the main survey line - and it also has both forward and
backward compass readings.

There *IS* something about the backward compass readings that is getting
cavern confused.  I added your two *data lines before and after A10-A11.  The
problem moved to A11-A12.  Just for grins I changed the*data line at the top
of the file to completely ignore the backward readings.  Voila!  It gave me a
good plot.

Regards - Bill Gee