HowTo: Cavern output in feet

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Tue Mar 3 14:30:09 GMT 2015

Hello everyone -

Now that I have started using Survex, I find a problem in Cavern.  The output
is shown in meters even though I specified that the lengths are in feet.  The
numbers are correctly converted - but would be much easier for me to use if
they were in feet.

The data file has

	*units tape left right up down feet

The output looks like this:

Survey contains 108 survey stations, joined by 107 shots.
There are 0 loops.
Total length of survey shots = 1027.85m (1027.85m adjusted)
Total plan length of survey shots = 1012.53m
Total vertical length of survey shots =  100.25m
Vertical range = 12.92m (from alliespringcave.cb1 at 7.16m to
alliespringcave.d7 at -5.76m)
North-South range = 115.30m (from alliespringcave.ba2 at 91.12m to
alliespringcave.d8 at -24.18m)
East-West range = 92.18m (from alliespringcave.c12 at 92.18m to
alliespringcave.a1 at 0.00m)

I don't see any directive or command line option that specifies the output to
be in feet.  Is there a way to do it?

Also - What does it mean by "Total vertical length of survey shots"?  This
cave is nearly horizontal.  It certainly does not extend through 100 meters of
vertical distance.  The vertical range of ~13 meters is probably accurate.

Thanks - Bill Gee