Survex 1.2.16 for Mac OS X

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jan 28 10:29:56 GMT 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 09:37:45PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 07:56:53PM +0000, HughStL wrote:
> > Details of error attached.
> [...]
> > Dyld Error Message:
> >   Library not loaded: /usr/lib/liblzma.5.dylib
> >   Referenced from: /Applications/Survex/Aven.app/Contents/MacOS/aven
> >   Reason: image not found
>
> Hmm, we don't use lzma compression.  I wonder what is dragging that in.

It seems to be TIFF support in wxWidgets.  Aven doesn't need to be able
to write out lzma-compressed TIFF images, so I've just turned off that
option in the wxWidgets build.

There's a new Mac OS X build available to download from the website:

http://survex.com/download.html?platform=macosx

It's labelled 1.2.16, but is actually built from the latest development
sources, so it's perhaps closer to what 1.2.17 will be.

The INSTALL file inside the disk image summarises the remaining issues I
am aware of - please report any others you encounter.

This fixes and improves a lot of things on OS X - a possibly incomplete
list:

 * Aven.app now has a custom icon.

 * Add icon and file associations for .3d and .svx files.

 + aven: Animation (auto-rotation, switching to plan or elevation, rotating to
   a point of the compass, presentations) now works properly.

 * aven: Hide the status bar and tool bar in Full Screen mode, as wx doesn't
   currently do this for us.

 * aven: Make custom cursors black with a white outline to match the standard
   OS X cursor.

 * aven: Fix "Close" button in about dialog.

 * svxedit: Now wrapped up in an application bundle as svxedit.app.  It
   doesn't really work like a standard app though - e.g. you can't load
   files from Finder (instead run svxedit.app and use File->Open), the
   font size of most menu items is wrong, the icon for the app is the
   wish icon rather than the svxedit icon, shortcuts use Ctrl not the
   Cmd key, and probably more.  I'd probably recommend using another
   editor (OS X comes with TextEdit.app for example).

 * The documentation is now in a "Docs" directory alongside the apps,
   rather than in the rather less obvious "share/doc/survex" directory.

 * Disable use of liblzma when building wxWidgets for OS X, which was
   preventing the build from working on OS X 10.6.8.  There may still be
   other issues with working on older versions though - please test and
   report back if it now works or not.

 * The diskimage (.dmg) file is now compressed with bzip2, which gives a
   smaller download than the zlib compression used previously.  This
   means OS X 10.4 is required, but we probably already need at least
   10.5 because that's the minimum version which the wxWidgets build
   supports by default.