Survex for scuba dive surveys

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Apr 13 15:49:01 BST 2015

+++ Henrik Brautaset Aronsen [2015-04-13 16:23 +0200]:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org> wrote:
>
> > But if your data has
> > ; Surveyed on 1st Dec 2013
> > then it'll never calculate the declination automatically :-)
>
> So it parses the comments as well?

No, that was the point. It can only use dates entered with *date.

> And don't you know it, another question:  The depth bar on the top-right
> side in Aven seems wrong with my test data:
>
> *data diving from to length bearing fromdepth todepth
> A B 25 160 12 16
> B C 12 120 16 20
>
> The depth bar goes from 4m to 8m.  How do I make it go from 12 to 20?

Start your survey from 0m depth, not from 12m down :-)

If nothing else is specified survex starts the first station at 0,0,0
so in this case the second station is 4m down, the second 8m down.

The scale bar shows depths/altitudes within the surveyed space, not
all space from wherever sea-level or sump-level (or other arbitrary
zero-measurement) might be. You can see why this is sensible with a
30m deep cave 3km up a mountain.

Also your depths are currently heights. i.e this survey is sloping
upwards. So I think you meant:
A B 25 160 -12 -16
B C 12 120 -16 -20

So to get what you asked for you could do:
*fix surface 0 0 -12
A B 25 160 -12 -16
B C 12 120 -16 -20

so surfex fixes the first stn at 0,0,-12 instead of the default 0,0,0

http://wookware.org/