Compiling survex 1.2.11 on Fedora 20

James Begley james.begley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 09:52:06 GMT 2014

Hiya,

There were a couple of hoops that I had to jump through to get the latest
version of survex to compile on my Fedora 20 laptop. I thought I would sent
them to the list in case any one was having problems (and so that I would
stand a chance of remembering them next time I come to compile survex).

The basic issue was the fact that gpx.h requires the proj-devel RPM to be
installed. The makefile tries to be clever, and only include the gpx.h file
if the findentrances executable is to be compiled (which by default it
isnt), but unfortunately the export.cc file also includes the gpx.h header
file. Adding proj-devel to the BuildRequires entry in the RPM spec file
would highlight this issue a bit quicker to anyone else using rpmbuild.

Once I got that working, I decided to include the findentrances in my
compilation, only to discover that the supplied Makefile was expecting to
run automake 1.14, but Fedora 20 only packages 1.13, so I went through the
aclocal / autoconf / automake dance. Nothing in the various makefiles
actually requires 1.14.

Since the gpx.h header file actually required now, perhaps the default
could be changed to so that the findentrances application is compiled by
default? - assuming that its useful and not just for testing purposes :)

Also note that Fedora has renamed the wx packages to include a '3' in the
name to be backwards compatible ... so the packages that I needed to have
installed were wxBase3, wxGTK3 and wxGTK3-devel

Cheers,
James