aven crashing when viewing 3D model of "flat" cave

Jonny Prouty jonathanprouty at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 15:18:51 GMT 2014

Hello all,

I created some fake data (included below) to try to determine if one of the
*units quantity types can be used to get survex to correctly read passage
LRUDs given in feet (no luck so far). As such I created 4 stations that end
up doing a 180 degree bend (horizontally), while inclination remained
constant at 0.

Cavern does not complain when I compile the svx file, nor does aven
complain when I open the 3D model and view it without passage tubes turned
on. As soon as I turn on passage tubes, however, aven throws an "Assertion
failed!" error and ultimately crashes.

If I change any of the clino measurements in the data, the passage tubes do
not cause aven any grief.

This isn't an issue for me as I don't have any real data that lacks
non-horizontal clino measurements, but I thought I'd send a quick note in,
regardless, in case it the issue manifests itself in other areas, as well.

I haven't attempted to reproduce the error in linux yet. I will send in
more info once I've been able to do so. Please let me know if there's
anything else you need.

Best regards,

Jonny

// BEGIN AVEN ERROR

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Survex\aven.exe
File: gfxcore.cc
Line: 2248

Expression: z_ext > 0.0

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

// END AVEN ERROR

// BEGIN FAKE SURVEY DATA

*begin test
*units tape feet
*data normal from to tape compass clino
; set any of the clino smeasurements below to something other than
; zero and aven displays the passage tube without issue
; aven crashes when attempting to display the data as given below

1 2 11 0 0
2 3 11 90 0
3 4 11 180 0

*units LENGTH feet
*units COUNTER feet
*units COUNT feet
*units DEPTH feet
*units dX, dY, dZ feet

*data passage station left right up down

; station dimensions collected as feet during survey
; survex always treats them as meters, unfortunately
;1 5 5 5 5
;2 5 5 5 5
;3 5 5 5 5
;4 5 5 5 5

; station dimensions converted to meters
; passage tube is display at the correct size when using these values
1 1.524 1.524 1.524 1.524
2 1.524 1.524 1.524 1.524
3 1.524 1.524 1.524 1.524
4 1.524 1.524 1.524 1.524

*end test

// END FAKE SURVEY DATA

// BEGIN SYSTEM INFO

Windows 7 (build 11491769116007857, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition
wxWidgets 3.0 (built with wxWidgets 3.0.0)
Display Depth: 32 bpp (color)
OpenGL 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3347
Intel
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
R8G8B8
Max Texture size: 8192x8192
Max Viewport size: 8192x8192
Smooth Point Size 1.000-20.000 (granularity 0.125)
Aliased point size 1.000-255.000
Double buffered: true
GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr
GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square
GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_shadow
GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_fragment_program
GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_depth_texture
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float
GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex
GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_WIN_swap_hint
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_ARB_multisample GL_EXT_packed_float
GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg
GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render
GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float
GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_ARB_map_buffer_range
GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_INTEL_performance_queries GL_ARB_copy_buffer
GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map
GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra
GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend
GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location
GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_instanced_arrays
GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters
GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_compatibility
GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev
GL_ARB_timer_query GL_INTEL_map_texture GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
GL_ARB_provoking_vertex

// END SYSTEM INFO