Survex 1.2.8: Aven can't get out of full screen mode

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jan 8 06:47:18 GMT 2014

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 12:03:40AM +1100, Rowena Larkins wrote:
> I selected the menu option in Aven to view the legs in full screen
> mode and now I cannot get Aven to return to windowed mode and work
> properly.
> In full screen mode there is no menu, however I am able to use
> keyboard shortcuts to move my rendering.

That's as expected - in full-screen mode you just get the sub-window
with the survey drawn in it.

> Also no other windows can be brought to the front. All I can do with
> my pc is move a survey 3d file in aven.

Is that also how full-screen mode behaves in other applications on
Windows?

> When I press the F11 key, Aven returns to a window, however there is
> no menu bar, and the window does not respond to any events. The only
> way to close the window is to use the task manager.
> When in windowed mode there are no survey legs showing, only a black
> screen.

That's not good.

> I have shutdown the machine several times and Aven still starts in
> full screen mode.
>
> In the short term I have reverted to Survex 1.2.7 which is behaving itself.
>
> Can you assist me in understanding why aven 1.2.8 only starts now in
> full screen mode; is there a config file somewhere I can modify so it
> starts in windowed mode?

The default size and full-screen-ness of the window is stored in the
registry on Windows.  You can edit settings in there with "regedit"
which you probably have installed by default, but I'm not sure what
the exact name of the entry for this is (it's handled by wxWidgets).

If 1.2.7 works, you should be able to get out of full-screen with that,
and then if you install 1.2.8 again, you should still be out of
full-screen mode.

Since this doesn't seem to affect others (Footleg and Brian on list, and
Jenny also tested it for me), I don't have any bright ideas as to how
to work out what's going wrong, but I've just uploaded 1.2.9, which is
built with wxWidgets 3.0.0 (1.2.8 was built with 2.9.5, which was a
development version).  If this is an issue with wxWidgets handling of
full screen mode, then 1.2.9 might fix it.