Windows 8 (was Re: aven on iPad?)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Dec 8 08:59:48 GMT 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 09:42:14AM +0000, Footleg wrote:
> I discovered this weekend that Aven does not run on Windows 8. It just
> displays an error dialog which says 'An error has occurred. Please contact
> the developers.' or wording to that effect.

"Bug in program detected! Please report this to the authors" (or else it
is coming from something else).

I had a look at the code, and there are a number of places where this
could be coming from, so I'm going to need some clues to help narrow
down what's going wrong.

Do you get the same error whether you're starting aven by itself, or
starting it loading a file (e.g. by double clicking the file)?

And does the aven window appear, or just the error dialog?