Virus in survex Win32 installation files?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Apr 10 01:02:14 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:43:52AM -0700, Erin Lynch wrote:
> There may be a virus in the latest survex Win32 installation files. In
> the last day two cavers downloading the files have reported that their
> anti-virus software detects a virus in the .exe file.

It's pretty unlikely there is really a virus, as I cross-build them on
Linux - the first time these files touch a windows machine is when you
download them.  The installer builder I use (innosetup) would probably
have to have been infected when I downloaded it, and I haven't upgraded
that for some time, so any recent release would be similarly affected.

Virus checkers basically work on looking for signatures in files, but
you can get false matches for a signature in a non-infected file,
especially if the signatures are small.

What's the virus software in use, and what virus does it claim to have
found?