Fw: Re: Surface data

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 14 03:17:27 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:08:49AM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Copying this patch to the list to stop it getting lost.

Good idea, but you only forwarded the message, not the patch.

> As it stands its very hacktastic, but it does demonstrate what's
> needed to display the surface grid as a tranparent surface, rather
> than grid.
>
> A full implementation would need proper data loading and on/off
> control, Z-buffer management so that the cave is actually under the
> surface etc.
>
> Nevertheless it's already useful for the CUCC dataset.

There's some much older code Mark Shinwell did somewhere which may be
useful for rendering surfaces.  The code doesn't seem to be in SVN
trunk, but there are still a couple of images in lib (surface.png is the
height data I think, and map.png a scan of a matching section of the
topo map, which we really shouldn't have in there, as I doubt we have
permission to distribute it, so I'll remove that).

I'll see if I can find that code - I think it did lighting,
transparency, and texture mapping an image on to the surface.