Survex 1.1.13 development snapshot uploaded

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jun 16 08:36:28 BST 2010

I've just uploaded 1.1.13:

http://www.survex.com/software/1.1.13/

Please note that this is a test build of the development version.
Things should mostly work, but you're more likely to encounter problems
than with the stable 1.0.X versions.  In particular there are major internal
changes in this version to make it work with a "Unicode" build of wxWidgets.

I'd certainly not recommend installing this as your *only* Survex version and
going away on expedition, but it is working well for a number of users.

So please do download it and try it out.  I think this is getting close
to what I'd like to release as Survex 1.2, so please report any problems
(even if you've reported them before!)

I've created a wiki page for "release notes", which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:
http://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.1.3

Changes in 1.1.13 (2010-06-16):

* Say "wxWidgets" instead of "wxWindows" consistently.

* img.c: Fix small memory leak (filename_opened member).

* cad3d, aven: Fix export to SVG when a label contains a '%' character.

* aven:

  + wxWidgets 2.6.0 or newer is now required.

  + A "Unicode" build of wxWidgets is now supported.  An "ANSI" build may still
    work but hasn't been tested recently (all packaged versions of wxWidgets
    seem to be Unicode now).

  + Fix potential uses of uninitialised variables which may have been causing
    occasional glitches when loading a file on start-up.

  + Improvements to the handling of the font used for plotting labels and other
    text on the survey pane:

    - Character spacing is improved.

    - Default font is now anti-aliased.

  + "About" dialog:

    - Add "Copy" button to copy the system info to the clipboard for easier
      bug reporting.

    - List OpenGL extensions last, since there are usually lots of them with a
      modern gfx card.

    - Fix 100% CPU usage while the "About" dialog is open.

  + Processing .svx files:

    - Passing a .svx file on the command line now works better.

    - Put the survey data log window in a splitter in the usual frame rather
      than opening a separate frame for it.

    - Auto-scroll the log window until we've reported a warning or error.

    - Fix small memory leak.

  + The presentation filename now defaults to using the basename of the
    currently loaded dataset, but we always prompt before we first save with
    such a name.

  + Reduce memory usage when saving a screenshot.

  + Allow "Toggle Fullscreen" to work even if no survey is loaded now that we
    persist the window size (and maximised or fullscreen state) between
    invocations.

  + Fix reporting of OpenGL errors.

  + Fix glitches when tilting while looking East.

  + Added Portuguese and Slovak translations of wxWidgets messages.

* Documentation:

  + Rationalise manual formats - replace PostScript with PDF and drop RTF.

  + Drop the "alternative manual formats" self-extracting zip file - people
    will generally just want one of the formats, so downloading several
    together isn't very useful.

  + 3dformat.htm: Update for v6 format (thanks to Mike McCombe).

  + GPL.htm: Replace HTML version of licence with a link to the version on
    the FSF website.

  + ChngeLog.htm: Stop generating an HTML version of the ChangeLog - it's too
    low level to be of interest to non-developers, and developers can look at
    the source code.

* (Unix version): configure: New preferred name for specifying wx-config script
  is WX_CONFIG.  WXCONFIG still supported for compatibility.

* (Linux version): Source RPM package dropped as you can just build an RPM
  package from the source tarball.

* (Microsoft Windows version): The installer is now created with a newer
  version of InnoSetup, which gives a 10% smaller download.