install problem in Ubuntu 9.10 karmic

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 24 13:32:53 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:41:09AM -0200, Carlos Grohmann wrote:
> Since I upgraded my system to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), I can't
> install Survex 1.1 anymore. It depends on libwxgtk2.4, but I only have
> 2.6 or 2.8.
> Compiling isn't working either.

The current releases and development snapshots require a "non-unicode"
build of wxwidgets.  The libwxgtk2.4 package was configured that way
but the newer packages are "unicode" builds.

I have a couple of patches from people to convert survex to build with
a "unicode" wxwidgets, but I've been chronically short of spare time
for most of this year, and haven't made much headway on sorting out
the rough edges on these.

But I'm going on a caving expedition at the end of December, and another
next year, which should motivate me to make some time to sort this all
out.

> Has anyone managed to install it? O r created a .deb based on the more
> recent versions of wxgtk?

You need to build wxwidgets from source and configure with:

./configure --with-opengl --disable-unicode

Once you've install that, build Survex from source, pointing it at the
wx-config for the wxwidgets you just installed, something like:

./configure WXCONFIG=/usr/local/bin/wx-config

> I can install 1.0.39 from the repositories, but it's not the same, all
> my .3d were build with 1.1.12, soI can't open then (i would have to
> reprocess everything)

I thought 1.0.39 was capable of reading files from 1.1.2, but just ignored
some of the newer features, but I may be wrong.