High Contrast mode for Aven?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 27 08:41:42 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:23:45PM +0000, Imperial College Caving Club wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Imperial College Caving Club <ic.caving at gmail.com>:
> > How much difficulty would there be to hack the choice of colours for
> > the centreline?

Just edit src/gradient.pov to change the colours and rebuild.  It says
created by GIMP, but that was a while ago and GIMP 2.6.3 doesn't
understand the format for me.  But it's just Red/Green/Blue triplets.

We could load the colours rather than hard-coding them if different
choices are useful for different users.

Or just automatically pick more suitable colours if we can detect what
sort of display we're running on (e.g. colour vs greyscale vs
black/white).  That's probably better.

> > I vaguely recall running a CVS version many moons ago that had more
> > control over the 'colour by depth'...

I don't think any control has been removed from the colouring.

> > Might this be useful functionality for anyone else?
> > An option to go to pastel shades rather than fully saturated, or to
> > invert the whole display might be nice...
>
> After getting the latest SVN version of Aven compiling on Ubuntu
> (necessary to custom install wxwidgets in non-unicode form, as pointed
> out by David Riggs earlier this month), I noticed in guicontrol.cc,
> that if you select an already selected colouring method, it acts as a
> toggle button which drops down to 'COLOUR_BY_NONE' which is pure
> White-on-Black.
>
> I wouldn't have expected gui behaviour like this without reading the source.

It made sense when there was only "Colour by Depth".  Perhaps now it
would be better to make "No colouring" a separate option.

> So this is 90% of the functionality useful on a B/W device, though I
> still think an inverted mode would be event better, though would
> require flipping the background... (wxSYS_COLOUR_WINDOWFRAME ???)

The survey view is all OpenGL, so I don't this wxSYS_COLOUR_<anything>
will affect it.  You need to change the colours OpenGL is told to use.