Survex in debian testing now using wxwindows 2.6

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Wed Mar 12 12:01:27 GMT 2008

Debian will longer support wxwindows 2.4 in the forthcoming 'lenny'
release. Survex has been staying with wx 2.4 until a pleasing solution
to the issue of unicode strings and internationalisation support in
Survex/wx was implemented. This was no longer possible in Debian, so
Guillem Jover kindly implemented a simple veneer which translates
all strings to/from survex<->wx-unicode. This is not how Olly wishes
to address the problem in the medium term, but it does essentially work.

See http://bugs.debian.org/462031 for a fuller explanation.

Survex was temporarily removed from Debian, but is back in again with
the new version as of yesterday.

The net result of all this is that the Debian version of Aven is now
significantly different from the normal survex.com version, so bear
this in mind when making bug reports. Guillem's update was not
perfect, and I fixed up a few more bits, but there may well still be
bugs, especially in the wildcard searching code for highlighting
station names (which becomes horrible when using mixed survex and wx
strings).

If you use it, please check out the new version and report problems,
either here or via the debian bugreporting system.

Having had a bit of a Debian caving package splurge (therion is
updated to 0.5.1 too) I will now also try and get a survex 1.2 into
experimental, which is something that should have been done a while
ago. If there are other cave survey packages which people feel should
be in Debian, then I'm happy to help make that happen (but probably
only very slowly).

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/