Bug report on 1.1.12

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Sep 7 01:01:15 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:33:57PM +0100, Loeffler, David wrote:
> On my laptop, which runs a current CVS version of Survex 1.1.12 under
> SuSE Linux 10.1, I've been noticing a curious bug with the mouse control.
>
> The bug manifests itself if I open a survey, change to a view angle other
> than plan, then click on a survey station to centre it in view. Thereafter,
> the measuring line indicator doesn't quite follow the cursor -- it seems to
> always be pointing to something just to one side of the cursor, unless the
> cursor is on another station in which case it snaps to the correct point.

I don't think I'm seeing this.  The measuring line doesn't quite go to
what appears to be the tip of the pointer arrow, but that's because the
white pointer arrow has a black border which isn't visible on the black
aven background, and the arrow pointer's "hot spot" is actually at the
tip of this border.  But I don't think that's what you're describing
as this effect is visible in plan view and without clicking on a
station...

There's an odd visual artifact I noticed on expedition, and I see on
my machine too - if I look E in elevation at the CUCC Austria data
and hit "p" for plan, I get jerky flashes of wrong angles.  I've not
looked at what's causing that yet, but playing with it now, I can
actually get aven to stop on one of the "wrong angles" if I use
the mouse to tilt.  Then the line does to completely the wrong place
vertically (actually, it's the right place, but the cave is being
displayed in the wrong place!)  I wonder if that's related.

> Also, if one does the above steps then attempts to rotate the cave, one gets
> a sort of jittering effect, with the central point wobbling from side to side
> as the cave rotates in a strange random way.

Hmm, I don't see this either, but again perhaps it's related.

Let me see if I can work out what's up with what I'm seeing, and perhaps
that'll fix your symptoms too.