secant clinometer

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Wed May 2 22:49:23 BST 2007

OK, so I might misunderstood the Suunto site, and our new clino is a
different one. The one we have now has a percent scale and a scale
ranging from 1-160.

Carlos

On 5/2/07, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 05:08:29PM -0300, Carlos Gu?no Grohmann wrote:
> > Quick one: can survex process data acquired with a secant clinometer?
> > We just received a new clino and we get the wrong model, instead of
> > degrees/percent, we get one with secant/percent...
> >
> > I know we can use the percentage value, but can we use the secant value?
>
> Not without changing Survex.
>
> It's probably fairly easy to support this, but is it useful to?
>
> Both the percent and secant scales presuambly stop before +/-90, but
> secant won't change much around the horizontal so it seems you're
> best off reading the percent scale (or returning the clino for a
> different model!)
>
> Also secant(x) = secant(-x), but then it's also positive for all angles
> from -90 to 90, so a negative secant reading could probably be used to
> mean a negative angle.
>
> Cheers,
>     Olly

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com